Some Key Points About Poverty
1. Poverty and wealth are relative. We basically know our own poverty or wealth only in relationship to others.
2. Poverty occurs in all races and countries.
3. Generational and situational poverty are different. When a family has been in poverty two generations or more, there are certain patterns and habits. In situational poverty, resources are temporarily reduced, but the mindset remains largely with the middle-class norms and values.
4. There are hidden rules in each of us related to the economic group in which we were raised.
5. Most schools, businesses, and many churches use the hidden rules of middle class. For churches to be effective across classes, members must understand the hidden rules of generational poverty, as well as middle class.
6. The fundamental reasons for poverty are lack of educational attainment and the disconnection of family and/or community.
7. Four reasons one leaves poverty: It’s too painful to stay, a vision or goal, a key relationship, or a special talent or skill.
Source: What Every Church Member Should Know About Poverty (2012) R.K. Payne & B. Ehlig.
Reprinted with permission. aha! Process, Inc.